Sunday, July 26, 2009

Salty talk

Busy Sunday. Got up early and did about 12 miles at San Felasco this morning with Joanna. She is committed to running the Croom 50K this fall and needs the trail experience. Conditions felt hot and wet. We talked at length about the 55 mile bike ride yesterday, specifically about how individuals interact and socialize.

Then I attended my final service at First Lutheran in Gainesville. Part of the readings included verses from Colossians 4. They seemed especially valid:

Walk in wisdom towards outsiders, making the best use of time. Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Just what am I contributing to others who cross my path in life? At times I'm elusive and isolated while riding. That's not a reflection on the group; rather, I daydream and think through many perplexing thoughts, meditate, and just plain check out mentally to rest.

But on other occasions, when I'm in a different place, I think less of myself and more of others. That's a big key in endurance sport activities. As the Apostle Paul stated, to walk in wisdom and make the best use of time.

I want my speech to be gracious, with just enough spice that it's interesting and appealing. I wish to provide encouragement and edification (now there's a church word) for my training partners. Even as some spout loud with braggadocio, it's best to "season my (speech) with salt" so that I'm not judging others. If I speak well and listen carefully, there will be opportunities to give the right answer to each and every personality type.

Well, that's a big order on the day. Let's see if old master competitor can pour on the salt when he gets to Boone, NC next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment