Thursday, April 16, 2009

Fast and furious

I really do enjoy retro photos.

A look back on the past and what once was.

Here's a shot of prime beef - Tommy Terrific in quick form, making it happen at the Greensboro (NC) Triathlon Club track day in 1986.

Dr. Terry Bazzarre was conducting a study on triathletes and I was a subject. We were asked to run two miles on the track and put in our best effort.

Despite the micro shorts, I laid down two 6 minute miles back-to-back.

That may not sound like much, but it's the best my engine could deliver. I was 29 years old and pushing for all it was worth, living on black coffee and rice cakes (that's another blog posting for another day).

But what I do observe from then to now is the resilience my body continues to offer. It's been 5 days since the Croom 50 mile and I'm gold. I dislodged a few toenails and carried blown quads the first few days, but that has dissipated and all that remains is the sense of wanting to do it again.

Most interesting is my weakening right knee. Though problematic for years, it feels totally fine after the 50-mile event. Sometimes more is better, I truly believe that.

So it goes. I'm building a new mantra/place in life thing and hope to share some of that soon.

See ya on the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment