Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Humble beginnings

Yikes.

Does this look like a dude who has an illustrious ultra career ahead of him?

This a self-portrait done in the photo studio at the University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire, 1978 or 1979. Guess I was into the gunfighter eye thing back then, but most of my concentration went into keeping crumbs out of that gorgeous Fu Manchu.

All good, life was fun...but fun in a different sort of way. Besides one feeble attempt to play hockey in college, I was aerobically lacking. There was no endurance sport activity in my life and I had yet to understand the void that existed.

So, I'm up and at 'em again today, thinking about what has transpired from then until now. The Green Swamp 50K is Saturday and I have begun to set aside gear and the cooler which will provide a few icy ales after the event.

Being young and hip and cool is OK. But being a master competitor en route to the next race is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment