Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Gentle as we go...

There's no reason for the photo at the left. I didn't have anything profound to post, so here's a shot of me circa 1993 with my beloved (at that time) Suzuki Katana 600.

I could tell a few stories, but I won't. Suffice it to say that bike can get you in trouble.

So, here's my thought for the day. At 52, my enjoyment in endurance sports comes from being able to participate.

Period.

I'm back to running six days a week, with Sundays after church reserved for a gym workout. So, I have some heightened pain in my right knee and also some muscular stuff going on in my lower left back. I was diagnosed with a left leg that was a bit shorter than the right and was encouraged to use a heel lift.

I thought that over, tried it a few times, and then decided to pass. I'd rather let my body adapt than to make it conform to an altered foot strike. Just my opinion...others are true believers in orthotics, so I'll leave this subject where is stands.

Back to my rant for the day: Keep it gentle, folks. I think almost constantly now about chirunning stance, keeping my body erect with a light, short stride that makes contact directly under my body. My pelvis shifts, I slump, and the process starts all over again.

The KISS model surely does apply. Keep it simple, let the stopwatch do its own thing, and be satisfied with the fact you can still maintain forward motion, no matter what the pace.

Maybe I'll live on in my dreams and memories, but for now, still being on the road is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment