Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dry spot

Today started warm, dark and windy.

I biked to school, changed into my running clothes and ran the 1/2 mile to the U of FL outdoor track. I started to log what was intended to be 30 minutes on the soft, oval surface; but then the rains came.

I raced away from the track and back toward my part of campus. I wasn't carrying my student I.D., so there wasn't an option to enter the rec center. Instead, I took a hard right and got under cover at the O'Connell Center, where U of FL's legendary basketball teams go to war.

The facility was empty and quiet. But on the second level, one can jog on the partly exposed indoor track. Bleachers obscure some of the surface, but it's possible to jaunt around the obstacles.

So I went - around and around. My MP3 player put out podcasts while I rounded turn after turn.

Instead of a wild, loud game day experience, I had the silence of empty seats and a few maintenance workers roaming the court. And no worries concerning a bathroom emergency; a men's room was waiting at every turn!

Surreal, but good. Another day, another experience as part of my PhD journey.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:29 PM

    And NO mention of what your girlfriend was doing while you were under cover and dry?! Some of us were outside telling the rain "Bring it on - I thrive on this s**t!"

    ReplyDelete