Monday, January 26, 2009

What's up with Willie?

I really don't know why I posted this...but here's a rather thick version of master competitor in 1993, chatting it up with country music legend Willie Nelson. I worked a bit with Willie when Wrangler Jeans sponsored his tour in the mid 1980's and then later crossed his path in this shot when Mercury Marine featured Willie at its dealer convention in Nashville. All good, the singing cowboy has fans all over the world and I am one of them. What does this have to do with this blog? Nothing really, but that's the glory of being a blog master...I rule this kingdom!

So back to reality...I ran four (4) hours at the San Felasco State Park running trails yesterday and backed it up with a one hour run this morning. There are a few telltale pains in my left leg (pinched nerve at the lower disc) and some pain in my right knee (meniscus or arthritis?) but in the end I remain encouraged and motivated.

I love to run. I realize that cross training with swimming and the gym and cycling are recommended, but nothing equals jogging every day.

I once again used my pulse meter and realized that if I stay quite calm and remain in chi stance, I can chug along at 110 bpm. It's not a fast pace, but if I could maintain that forward motion for somewhere around six hours, I'll be sniffing for the finish line at the Green Swamp 50K in two weeks.

It also became clear that as I became more fatigued later in the run, my pulse was elevated to around 123 bpm while I was still at the same pace. Now, I am starting to get a used to the feedback and am considering monitoring my heart rate while in the race. Haven't done that since 1993, when I made my comeback run (after Guillain-Barre) and finished the Ice Age 50 mile in Wisconsin. At that event, I made sure my heart rate never went above 130 bpm and I finished in around 11 hours.

My endurance life is no longer about being fast. It's more about how far than how fast. The miles still roll by, but in a different way.

Master competitors have different seasons in their endurance life. That is the way God designed us and I am embracing the place in which I now exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment