Monday, December 08, 2008

Good for what ails you...

A master competitor of any ilk knows that sooner or later, pain will come your way.

I had the bad disc/back/left leg ailment all this year and once that subsided, my lame right knee started flaring up once again.

And while I'm whining, I might as well tell you about the arthritic thumb joint in my right hand.

Ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.

So it goes. And if you're anything like me, you're eternally hunting for the cure. I've done the DMSO thing and at one point in the late '80's was actually mixing powdered aspirin into the DMSO. You don't know what DMSO is? Good, let's keep it that way.

At this point I'm working with some pretty cool stuff called Traumeel. It's not cheap, about $40 for a big tube from the local health food store. This is a healing balm that is unlike the Ben-Gay type rubs. It's not about a heat producing mask for the pain; rather, it's a substance that goes in deep and seems to aleviate the hurt in a different way.

One internet source that sells Traumeel identified it as "a creamy anti-inflammatory and pain relieving ointment from a homeopathic combination of arnica, calendula, chamomilla, aconitum, hamamelis, symphytum, hepar sulphuris, hypericum, and belladonna."

Not that there is what I call a potent mix of healing juice!

I've been reading that some of the big boys in the Tour de France use Traumeel as part of their evening rehab plans. I dream of having a full body massage with this stuff. Think I'd be a better man for it.

Let's keep working it any way we can. Whatever it takes to keep on our feet, running again another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment