Sunday, November 23, 2008

My life with the Aussies

Well, I still have two qualifying tests to go (out of five) but I could not stay away from my master competitor blog...you see, I am a legend in my own mind.

For the next few installments, sit back and stay tuned for some of Tom Terrific's adventures from Down Under; these are tales of the wild and not so sane training runs while on my trip to Sydney, Australia in May, 2007.

I was adopted by a crew of very hardcore ultrarunners. These boys knew how to suffer, beyond levels of my accomplishment.

The two dudes in the photo are some of my trail mates from a run on the Great North Road. This day was about a 50K, but on the out and back I ended up doing about 25 miles. No real support and a few rain barrels along the way. At one point a Buddhist monk set out some drinking water...that was nice.

So, the guy on the left is Louie. This man of all seasons told me that for over 20 years, he was a delivery truck driver who would tote a bottle of booze and get blind drunk over the course of every day (any children - or adult - blog subscribers SHOULD NOT attempt this at home). As it so often goes with ultrarunners, Louie found a new addiction. He is now one tough stump of a runner. And after this jaunt on The Great North Road, Louie partnered with me across Six Foot Track...more on that later.

The man to my right is an ultra legend in Australia. Paul Every is one of the most accomplished runners in his nation and founded the infamous 246K "Coast to Kosciuszko" run from sea level to the top of a mountain. Read all about it here:

http://www.coolrunning.com.au/runningguide/wiki/index.php/Coast_to_Kosciuszko

And in the middle is old Master Competitor, shocked that these guys would pick me up at the hotel, take me on epic runs, and then party me into the wee hours of the morning. I will be forever grateful for their friendship and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment