Sunday, November 09, 2008

Making time at the 13.1

The Florida Track Club hosted one of its annual events yesterday, the Tom Walker Memorial Half Marathon. This year the race was moved to the Gainesville Hawthorne trail. This is a very popular local running and biking path, with no traffic and less stress.

I can almost be seen in the photo above. I'm buried near the back, in a red shirt and black visor...making my stupid running face that I have been trying to overcome for the past two decades.

My running friends Meghan (in purple top) and Adrienne (aqua singlet) are to my left.

The turnout was excellent. I started with my running buddies Meghan and Adrienne. Meghan was off like a rabbit, so we shuffled into line behind her. The weather was overcast at times, gracious even in November for Florida, as the temps have been rising into the high 70's.

I was great to see so many familiar faces on the course. And near the finish I recognized Ed and James, two track club members I trained with in 2006...both talented master competitors who handed me my rear end on every run.

Soon we were onto the final mile and I pushed it to the finish for a 1:53. Nothing to be ashamed of, but a far cry from the 1:37 I ran in Sydney, Australia in May 2007.

I had a few bites to eat and left quickly, headed to the U of FL library for study on my qualifying exams. A while later I had a call from Jennifer, one of the race organizers. She was upset I had departed; I was not present to receive the award for winning my age group!

It's been 25 years since I started the endurance sport lifestyle and the enjoyment remains. What a great sport and I am thankful to be part of it.

1 comment: