Skip to main content

I'm a retro cyclist

I won't lead anyone to believe I rode Six Gap in the apparel represented to the right, but it wasn't that far off the mark.

Photo credit to James Murphy for the picture at right - which is worth a thousand words

As a matter of fact, I seem to be a dork when it comes to cycling apparel.

There's an old Nike jersey that I still wear. It screams at you, with retro swirls on white. Some who know me well have tried to hide that jersey, but I dig through the depths of my dresser and bring it back from the dead.

For Six Gap, I wore a rather tattered lime jersey, which I purchased from Performance Bicycle for about $12 on a blow-out sale over five years prior.

There's something about looking retro that is safe. It states that you are an old-timer, out of touch and not current with the trends.

It also states that I don't have anything to prove and that once on the bike, a competitive performance is not expected.

That's where I like to turn the tables. Tommy master competitor, old clothes and a dressed like a goon.

But it you underestimate me, be prepared for the unexpected.

I started near the rear at Six Gap, found my rhythm and began to pick off riders. Many were on expensive bicycles, wearing hundreds of dollars of gear. There is a strange satisfaction in overcoming a dude who - judged by his equipment and clothes - should kick my fanny.

But to the contrary, that isn't always the case. I had a fun game at Six Gap...as I crawled past a rider during one of the massive climbs, I'd look over and ask:

"Hey, I'm new to this ride. Are we climbing a hill or a gap?"

That would seem to increase the blood flowing to the rider's face. Most of the time I'd get a mumble in return, or some comment on the grade of the climb.

Hey, what do I know. I'm a retro rider.

Comments

  1. Hi Tom,

    Interesting blog. Just an observation: if you plan using other people's photography in your blog, please be so kind as to mention the source of the image!

    Regards,
    James

    The above photo of an old man cycling in China was taken by me for my travel blog http://blogs.bootsnall.com/JamesM/pingyao-shanxi-province.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…