Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Building a program...just one more time

I was out running this week (something I have seldom been doing due to my bad back) and was listening to a www.competitorradio.com podcast of Mark Allen, the multi-time Ironman Triathlon winner.

Allen talks of being pretty much cooked, worn out from years of training and racing, when he tried to re-create the package one more time for a final return to Ironman.

Nothing seemed to get Mark back on track, until he reconnected with Brant Secunda, a Huichol shaman and healer.

After this 10-day meditational experience, Allen was tuned and ready. What he could not recover physically, was finally captured through spiritual and mental rejuvenation.

I had a very tough experience at the Umstead 100 mile in April. I went well beyond my personal boundaries, and took the finish at great expense to my body, my emotions and the relationship I was in at the time.

But, like Mark Allen, I would like to find the components to let me do it "just one more time." Aerobic athletes everywhere know had grand it feels to climb back on top of the fitness pinnacle and in cycling terms, get "on the razor" for another great endurance effort.

So it goes. I think about the day my back will heal, the running miles can resume, and yet another 100-miler will loom on the horizon.

And that type of vision is what makes this master competitor's heart beat with passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment