Thursday, September 11, 2008

Memories of my past...

It was a hot, sticky morning in north Florida.

I ran without a shirt, something I don't often do. Sweat cascaded down my body, through my shorts, and eventually soaked my socks and the liners in my shoes.

While I jogged, my MP3 was blasting the Best of the 80's Hair Bands Volume II.

Very good stuff.

When I run, I daydream. About things past and present, and where the future is taking me.

Today's daydream incorporated some of my fondest memories, of my early training years in Greensboro, North Carolina. I was just coming into my triathlon era in 1984 -1986, and was loving life while running in Greensboro Park, Guilford Battleground Park, and on the Lake Brandt trails.

All of these wonderful areas were interconnected, and I would wander from pea gravel paths to wooded single track to paved run and bike trails. Runner's heaven, and it was magnified through four full seasons each year.

Running has been such a large component of my life. Recently, I have been opting out of my morning runs, due to the inflamed disc in my back. But, I cannot ignore it any longer. My positive disposition is tied to my running; one does not exist well without the other.

So, I journey forward, one foot in front of the other, carrying memories of my past.

No comments:

Post a Comment