Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Can we rise above the rhetoric?


OK, OK, I realize this isn't a political blog. But as I jogged this morning (there's the link) I was thinking: What would happen if politicians and their pundits refused to criticize or ridicule their opponent?

The anti-rhetoric is flying both ways, from both parties. Accusations of lies, deceit, incompetence.

Just what would happen if a candidate stood tall, and simply stated he/she would rise about the fray? What if the candidate stated that he/she would stand on the beliefs and ideals they presented, and would refuse to speak negatively about the other party?

Could an election be won without the hate-mongering so common today?

Maybe so, but I would guess not. However, I will make one point: Many of us have been raised to be respectful of others. My mother would teach me, "if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

I realize Pam Anderson, Lindsay Lohan, Matt Damon and others would disagree...and that is their right. But a sizable contingent of voters may respond favorably to the candidate who can assertively state their intentions, without making disparaging remarks against the opposing candidate.

Hey, that's my two cents for today. Next time we're getting back to some really cool Master Competitor tales from the past...

No comments:

Post a Comment