Sunday, June 22, 2008

What was...and what could have been

Yup, this is a photo of me, circa 1993, almost checked out for good in the ICU of a Milwaukee hospital.

I contracted Guillain-Barre Syndrome in late 1992 - for those of you who are political pundits, it was the night Bill Clinton won his first presidential election.

I wasn't feeling well, then started to lose movement in my arms and legs. That was the beginning of a long six month journey, all predicated by a flu shot.

Hey, it's easy to whine and bitch about the world we live in. But when you have been stripped down to a shell that can't move or breathe, there's another perspective that makes sense.

That's being thankful for each waking (and walking) day. Thanking the good Lord for his gracious blessings on our lives.

That was then, this is now...but being thankful will live on forever in my life.

1 comment:

  1. wow! very amazing Tom. Such a blessing you are so healthy now. Great story!

    ReplyDelete