Thursday, June 12, 2008

Happy with the headphones?

A few posts back I did a big rant job on race directors who were, for liability reasons and insurance issues, banning headphones at events.

I have not shifted position too much on how I feel about my tunes while jogging, but there was a sea change in my life a few weeks ago. I started running while in Greece without my beloved music and podcasts.

At first, I was terrified. A screaming silence rang in my ears, then the subtle sounds of my surroundings came to life. The birds, dirt crunching under my feet, my own breathing...all alien sounds I have barely heard over the past 25 years of running.

I ran throughout the trip without headphones and tunes. Was a very introspective time, more thoughts with a deeper complexity. Just me, my semi-efficient forward motion, and the natural sounds in my environment.

Headphones or not: that is the question. But I am no longer afraid of the silence that surrounds me.

1 comment:

  1. I did 15 marathons without headphones (training too). I use them now because I listen to audio books and it's a more efficient use of my time.

    I think it should be left up to the individual to decide.

    ReplyDelete