Thursday, May 08, 2008

To the top of Filopappos Hill


Well, Athens has been a real experience. Arrived two days ago, have been taking care of 90 U of FL students...but of course #1 priority was to ID a running loop!


Started from the hotel, jogged a few blocks north, then up a VERY steep city street to trails onto Filopappos Hill, which offers meandering trails to a high elevation. One can view the dense city of Athens (4 million population) and also the majestic Acropolis. Wish I could post some of my own images, but I can't find a USB port on this computer in the lobby of the hotel!

Last night was a wonderful group meal, with musical entertainment. I must admit that after a bit too much table wine, I was convinced to go on stage (with the other men in our group) and gyrate with a belly dancer. I must still have some great moves, as a large contingent of students where chanting my name. Guess I can still shake my booty on rare occasions.

Today we will visit the U.S. embassy, then wander the city and see more sites. It's a real clash of urban sprawl with ancient artifacts; in many areas historic digs are preserved, right in the middle of new construction.

Tomorrow is a bit more free time, then on to the island of Mykonos.

No comments:

Post a Comment