Skip to main content

I savaged my feet at the Umstead 100 mile


It was ugly, but I finished.

I was able to complete the Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run near Raleigh, North Carolina on April 5-6.

Race was eight (8) 12.5 mile laps. Rain on/off entire race. If you like being wet and cold, this was the event to be at...

Ran the first 50 miles in 10:30...held an average of 2:30 per lap first 3 laps, then fell off 4th lap, right foot was starting to blister. Was wearing Adrenaline ASR's - think the water, and the fact I wasn't wearing gaiters caused grit to get into my (Brooks) crew socks. Also switched from a Runderwear long sleeve top to another Brooks top and a Brooks outer shell...wanted to wear more of my Brooks ID running tops, but it was a climate thing all day.

Knew I had trouble. Thought about dropping at 50 miles. Runners could have pacers starting lap 5, so I suggested to Christie (my girlfriend) that we walk a lap and see how things unfold. At that point switched to Brooks Beast and ThorLo socks.

We walked - all night...did laps 5-7 together. Doing about 20 minute miles in the dark...about 15 hours to walk 40 miles...that took us to 6 am, 24 hours into the race.

I had six hours until cutoff (they allow 30 hours) and I was toast. Feet we trashed. Christie took me from the start to the first 1 mile out and back spur, which took me to sunup.

From there, I soldiered on myself to complete the final lap and finish the 100 miles in 27:44.

Those races are ($%$# tough. Think I'll go with the 50K and 50 milers from now on.

A photo is attached, which features me at the finish, with my well worn Brooks Beast in the forefront!


Comments

  1. Tom, Great site. You've been trashing your feet for some time now. You are a lucky guy. I love the spine Xray. You know my philsophy, if it hurts run on it for six months. If it still hurts run on it for another six months. If it still hurts try another six months. If you can run on it for a year and a half don't worry about it. I'm about two years into my back pain so I quit worrying about it. I've decided to run every day of this my 30th year of long distance running. Jan 15th is the anniversary. I'm in triple digits. I've had some tough days but no misses. Back is killing me but in a whole new way. I simply enjoy running with pain rather than not running. I read at the Fields Museum in Chicago a few weeks ago that we've been hunter-gatherers for 95% of our existence. They have it wrong. We are still physiologically hunter-gatherers, we just don't get our food that way. Remember the night runs at Mohican. Running in the dark in a pack. If that isn't a hunter gatherer primal thrill I don't know what it is. Still gives me chills. So, what's a blog. Can I keep blabbering? Just kidding. So great to see you Tom. I'll blog to you later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing to see here, folks

It's been a long time since I've been active on my blog. To be honest, I got tired of putting in the work, creating content, with so little feedback or response. Time to divert to other things...such as my new fiction book, coming out soon. Part horror story, part steamy romance. You'll definitely want a copy.

There's another reason I haven't been posting. My endurance spirit is broken.

Some medical issues, some sadness is loss of speed. I don't have much range left in my pulse rate and I have put on a blob of weight.

I "ran" my 10 mile loop this morning...in 2:18. Is that ugly, or what? An overall fatigue follows the run. I remember a few years ago, I'd bang it out in straight 9's for a 1:30 - and at that time had a long section of medium effort trail included, too.

It's the new normal. It's age appropriate. I'll be 59 in two weeks. Let's get real.

Rode my mountain bike Sunday after church. Don't know what I hit but I went…

Break(down)

You have to look closely (click and enlarge photo if needed), but when you do, check out the 5th metacarpal (bone furthest from thumb).

The diagonal break is symbolic of what happens when your mountain bike handlebars snap around 360 degrees, and those bars catch your hand against the bike frame during the rotation.

Well there you have it. I got up after my ride over the bars and knew something was wrong, but didn't want to admit it. Rode about three miles back to the car, then went a week with some ice and heat. Thought it was good, until I smacked the same bone on the bars during a road ride the following weekend.

Time to stop the charades and get to urgent care.

For the past three weeks, I have been in a formed splint that kept the pinkie and ring fingers immobilized in a hooked formation. Don't want those tendons to move across the bone. As the doc stated, it's a "forgiving" break, but nonetheless you don't want to give the bone any excuse to shift; that…

Fitness setback? Use the healing power of plants

Maybe you're like me. You had achieved a fitness and nutrition peak, but then slid off the mountain. Hey, most of us aren't professional athletes and we aren't paid to be ripped and shredded, right? Life got in the way. I produced my dossier for tenure, then finished several academic publications. And, there is always teaching and a responsilbity to the student experience. I'm not proud of the outcome, but that's how it works for me. When I wrote "Mind Over Diet" the key premise was self-negotiation. You must create your own scenarios that drive action. It's time to start over. My advice is to build your comeback with food, not exercise. Everyone wants to run to the gym and crank the big workouts...how long does that usually last? I'd suggest the food is the ultimate change agent. Eat as close to "alive" as possible; take the processing and chemicals out. Fresh food will bring life back into your body. That's the foundation. Here…